This is a compilation of thoughts and quotes that I have found or written recently, as well as many that I've collected throughout the years. Most thoughts are posted randomly, as I feel inspired. A listing of quotes can be found alphabetically (check the 2008 and 2009 archives listing), or by source.

Feel free to suggest additions!


“For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.” – Proverbs 23:7

Friday, January 16, 2009

Walt Whitman Quotes


1. A great city is that which has the greatest men and women.

2. A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books.

3. After you have exhausted what there is in business, politics, conviviality, and so on - have found that none of these finally satisfy, or permanently wear - what remains? Nature remains.

4. All faults may be forgiven of him who has perfect candor.

5. Henceforth I ask not good fortune. I myself am good fortune.

6. I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars.

7. I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.

8. I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my friends.

9. If any thing is sacred, the human body is sacred.

10. Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.

11. Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

12. Oh while I live, to be the ruler of life, not a slave, to meet life as a powerful conqueror, and nothing exterior to me will ever take command of me.

13. Simplicity is the glory of expression.

14. The future is no more uncertain than the present.

15. The genius of the United States is not best or most in its executives or legislatures, nor in its ambassadors or authors or colleges, or churches, or parlors, nor even in its newspapers or inventors, but always most in the common people.

16. The great city is that which has the greatest man or woman: if it be a few ragged huts, it is still the greatest city in the whole world.

17. To me, every hour of the day and night is an unspeakably perfect miracle.

18. We convince by our presence.

19. When I give, I give myself.

20. Whoever degrades another degrades me, And whatever is done or said returns at last to me.

No comments: