1. Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself. - Felix Adler
2. Well, if you don't improve you slip inevitably backward. Or you hammer-hammer-hammer on the same spot. And you become the same old thing doing the same old thing...Get going. - Katherine Hepburn
3. Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else. - Judy Garland
4. If you are not growing, you are dying. - Les Brown
5. It is far more useful to be aware of a single shortcoming in ourselves than it is to be aware of a thousand in somebody else. For when the fault is our own, we are in a position to correct it. - The Dalai Lama
6. I believe that any man's life will be filled with constant and unexpected encouragement, if he makes up his mind to do his level best each day, and as nearly as possible reaching the high water mark of pure and useful living. - Booker T. Washington
7. We are like blocks of stone from which the Sculptor carves a form. The blows of His chisel which hurt us so much are what make us perfect. - C.S Lewis
8. Not to invent yourself is to be false. To follow preordained rules is a profound betrayal of what it means to be human. - David Starkey
9. The brighter you are, the more you have to learn. - Don Herold
10. Our very business in life is not to get ahead of others, but to get ahead of ourselves. - Thomas L. Monson
11. Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young. - Henry Ford
12. As long as anyone believes that his ideal and purpose is outside him, that is is above the clouds, in the past or in the future, he will go outside himself and seek fulfillment where it cannot be found. He will look for solutions and answers at every point except where they can be found — in himself. - Erich Fromm
13. He that has energy enough to root out a vice should go further, and try to plant a virtue in its place. - Charles Caleb Colton
14. I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning. - Joseph Priestley
15. The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
16. What you really want for yourself is always trying to break through, just as a cooling breeze flows through an open window on a hot day. Your part is to open the windows of your mind. - Vernon Howard
17. Whatever you are, be a good one. - Abraham Lincoln
18. And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin
19. Live in terms of your strong points. Magnify them. Let your weaknesses shrivel up and die from lack of nourishment. - William Young Elliott
20. Upward Reaching
The soul of man, to what end is it striving?
What is the destiny, what is the goal?
This constant upward reaching of the soul–
What force behind it does the ceaseless driving?
Upward reaching but implies a quest
Unending, for the things we deem the best,
For that which goes to make the perfect whole–
Insatiable striving for a better role.
With what speed, then, is man’s success arriving?
Endowed with instincts meant to goad him on
Toward the infinite, from dawn to dawn,
From his struggle, how much good deriving?
Man’s speed, or progress, toward that holier sphere,
Is measured through the knowledge he gains here,
And man will go on reaching endlessly;
There is no terminal–no finality.
-Amelia Peart Macdonald
21. Every one of us, if we would reach perfection, must one time ask ourselves this question, 'What lack I yet?' if we would commence our climb upward on the highway to perfection. - Harold B. Lee
22. If you would attain to what you are not yet, you must always be displeased by what you are. For where you are pleased with yourself there you have remained. Keep adding, keep walking, keep advancing. - Saint Augustine
23. To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right. - Confucius
24. The self must know stillness before it can discover its true song. - Ralph Brum
25. The most important thing to remember is this: To be ready at any moment to give up what you are for what you might become. - W.E.B. Du Bois
26. Our task is to become our best selves. One of God’s greatest gifts to us is the joy of trying again, for no failure ever need be final. - Thomas S. Monson
27. It is necessary to try to surpass oneself always; this occupation ought to last as long as life. - Queen Christina, of Sweden
28. How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank
29. If you think you're too small to make a difference, you've obviously never been in bed with a mosquito. - Michelle Walker
30. We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become every day. – Richard G. Scott
31. There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. - Hindu Proverb
32. Every action we take, everything we do, is either a victory or defeat in the struggle to become what we want to be. - Anne Byrhhe
33. Whatever you focus on, think about, read about, and talk about, you're going to attract more of into your life. - Jack Canfield
34. I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart. - Vincent Van Gogh
35. We improve ourselves by victories over ourselves. There must be contest, and we must win. -Edward Gibbon