This is a compilation of thoughts and quotes that I have found or written recently, as well as many that I've collected throughout the years. Most thoughts are posted randomly, as I feel inspired. A listing of quotes can be found alphabetically (check the 2008 and 2009 archives listing), or by source.

Feel free to suggest additions!


“For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.” – Proverbs 23:7

Monday, January 5, 2009

Travel Quotes

1. The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see. - Gilbert K. Chesterton

2. The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. - St. Augustine

3. I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. - Caskie Stinnet

4. Outer travel at best only reflects the inner journey...before you can find what you're looking for in the world, you have to find it within. - Dan Millman

5. One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. - Henry Miller

6. Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen. - Benjamin Disraeli

7. We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment. - Hilaire Beloc

8. Through travel I first became aware of the outside world; it was through travel that I found my own introspective way into becoming a part of it. - Eudora Welty

9. No matter what happens, travel gives you a story to tell. - Jewish Proverb

10. A wise man travels to discover himself. - James Russell Lowell

11. Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind. - Seneca

12. On every side of us are men who hunt perpetually for their personal North-West Passage, too often sacrificing health, strength and life itself to the search; and who shall say they are not happier in their vain but hopeful quest than wiser, duller folk who sit at home, venturing nothing. - Kenneth Rogers

13. A traveller am I, and a navigator, and every day I discover a new region within my soul. - Kahlil Gibran

14. Only the traveling is good which reveals to me the value of home and enables me to enjoy it better. - Henry David Thoreau

15. I might have been born in a hovel but I am determined to travel with the wind and the stars. - Jacqueline Cochran

16. Travel can be one of the most rewarding forms of introspection. - Lawrence Durrell

17. Not all who wander are lost. - Unknown

18. Few things are more enjoyable than lingering over the atlas and plotting a trip. – J. Maarten Troost

19. Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. – Ray Bradbury

20. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. – Helen Keller

21. For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move. – Robert Louis Stevenson

22. Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. – Matsuo Basho

23. Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe. – Anatole France

24. I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list. – Susan Sontag

25. Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

26. All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware. – Martin Buber

27. I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. – Bill Bryson

28. Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you. – Unknown

29. Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world. – Gustave Flaubert

31. Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. – Henry David Thoreau

32. Surely of all the wonders in the world, the horizon is the greatest. – Frey Stark

33. I urge you to travel. As far and as much as possible. Work ridiculous shifts to save your money. Go without the latest iPhone. Throw yourself out of your comfort zone. Find out how other people live and realize that the world is a much bigger place than the town you live in. And when you come home, home may still be the same, and yes, you may go back to the same old job, but something in your mind will have changed. And trust me, that changes everything. - Unknown

34. To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. - Aldous Huxley

35. Travel isn’t just the experiences we have when we leave our homeland, it’s the experiences we bring back with us which change us in ways we could have never imagined. - Chris Mitchell

36.  To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world. You are surrounded by adventure. - Freya Stark

37. Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks — on your body or on your heart — are beautiful. Often though, they hurt. - Anthony Bourdain

38. If you're going to be on the roads of this world, the best burden you can carry is wisdom. - Hávamál

39. Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind. – Seneca

40. One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. – Henry Miller

41. We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us. - Unknown

42. Travel is never a matter of money but of courage. – Paulo Coelho 

43. Wherever you go, go with all your heart. – Confucius

44. With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding. – Sandra Lake

45. I want to see the world. Follow a map to its edges and keep going. Forgo the plans. Trust my instincts. Let curiosity be my guide. I want to change hemispheres. Sleep with unfamiliar stars. And let the journey unfold before me. - Unknown


See more travel quotes at Anthony Bourdain's Best Travel Quotes


No comments: