This is a compilation of thoughts and quotes that I have found or written recently, as well as many that I've collected throughout the years. Most thoughts are posted randomly, as I feel inspired. A listing of quotes can be found alphabetically (check the 2008 and 2009 archives listing), or by source.

Feel free to suggest additions!


“For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.” – Proverbs 23:7

Monday, November 30, 2009

Ghandi Quotes

Born in Porbandar, India, in 1869, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi would have been 146 years old today. One of the most recognizable leaders of all time, Gandhi was (and continues to be) revered for his satyagraha — nonviolent civil disobedience — philosophy in leading India to independence and inspiring civil rights and freedom movements around the world. 

Gandhi was often called by the title "Mahatma", which is Sanskrit for "Great Soul".

1. Be the change you want to see in the world.

2. The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

3. The only tyrant I accept in this world is the still voice within me. And even though I have to face the prospect of being a minority of one, I humbly believe I have the courage to be in such a hopeless minority.

4. There is more to life than simply increasing its speed.

5. The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.

6. Suffering cheerfully endured, ceases to be suffering and is transmuted into an ineffable joy.

7. Whenever you have truth it must be given with love, or the message and the messenger will be rejected.

8. Whenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love.

9. Nobody can hurt me without my permission.

10. There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever.

11. My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and my talents and I lay them both at his feet.

12. Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning.

13. Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.

14. You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result.

15. Just as the body cannot exist without blood, so the soul needs the matchless and pure strength of faith.

16. When I admire the wonder of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in worship of the Creator.

17. We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.

18. An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.

19. It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.

20. You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.

21. Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

22. Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

23. The only tyrant I accept in this world is the 'still small voice' within me. And even though I have to face the prospect of being a minority of one, I humbly believe I have the courage to be in such a hopeless minority.

24. An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

25. You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result.

26. The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problem.

27. A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes.

28. A ‘No’ uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a ‘Yes’ merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.

29. In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

30. You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

No comments: