1. A man may fulfill the object of his existence by asking a question he cannot answer, and attempting a task he cannot achieve.
2. But friendship is the breathing rose, with sweets in every fold.
3. Every calling is great when greatly pursued.
4. Happiness consists in activity. It is running steam, not a stagnant pool.
5. Have the courage to act instead of react.
6. He has half the deed done who has made a beginning.
7. If I were dying my last words would be: Have faith and pursue the unknown end.
8. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living.
9. Love is the master key that opens the gates of happiness.
10. One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
11. The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving.
12. The mode by which the inevitable comes to pass is effort.
13. The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts a great deal longer.
14. Through our great good fortune, in our youth our hearts were touched with fire. It was given to us to learn at the outset that life is a profound and passionate thing.
15. To be seventy years young is sometimes far more cheerful and hopeful than to be forty years old.
16. To reach a port we must sail, sometimes with the wind, and sometimes against it. But we must not drift or lie at anchor.
17. Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening.
18. We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing.
19. A moment's insight is sometimes worth a life's experience.