1. Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.
2. Few things can help an individual more than to place responsibility on him, and to let him know that you trust him.
3. Character is power. Character, not circumstances, makes the man.
4. There is no power on earth that can neutralize the influence of a high, simple and useful life.
5. Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work.
6. The world cares very little about what a man or woman knows; it is what a man or woman is able to do that counts.
7. If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.
8. I believe that any man's life will be filled with constant and unexpected encouragement, if he makes up his mind to do his level best each day, and as nearly as possible reaching the high water mark of pure and useful living.