This is a compilation of thoughts and quotes that I have found or written recently, as well as many that I've collected throughout the years. Most thoughts are posted randomly, as I feel inspired. A listing of quotes can be found alphabetically (check the 2008 and 2009 archives listing), or by source.

Feel free to suggest additions!


“For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.” – Proverbs 23:7

Monday, September 14, 2009

Maya Angelou Quotes

1. I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

2. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

3. I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

4. If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.

5. I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.

6. I’ve learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way s/he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.

7. You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.

8. We are here to love each other. That is why you are alive. That is what life is for.

9. Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue.

10. Nothing can dim the light that shines from within.

11. We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.

12. I have no modesty.  Modesty is a learned behavior.  But I do pray for humility, because humility comes from the inside out.

13. Love recognizes no barriers.  It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.

14. If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.

15. Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God.

16. When the great American poet, the late Maya Angelou, reflected on her life and learnings she said, "I've learned that...

  1. no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.
  2. you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
  3. regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.
  4. making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life.'
  5. life sometimes gives you a second chance.
  6. you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back.
  7. whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
  8. even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.
  9. every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.
  10. I still have a lot to learn.
  11. people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

No comments: