Healing your life, your heart, your mind requires a lot of effort. Probably one of the most essential and effective components to such healing is applying the principle of forgiveness. We all have something or someone, even if only ourselves, that we need to forgive. The following is a compilation of messages on forgiveness.
Here's a great message in a song by Matthew West:
or see it on YouTube.
Here are some great quotes on the topic of forgiveness:
1. Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life. - Joan Lunden
2. Forgiveness is freeing up and putting to better use the energy once consumed by holding grudges, harboring resentments, and nursing unhealed wounds. It is rediscovering the strengths we always had and relocating our limitless capacity to understand and accept other people and ourselves. - Elder James E. Faust
3. Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for your enemy to die. - Bill Phillips
4. Forgiveness is not done out of weakness; it is an act of strength and courage.- Bill Phillips
5. Forgiveness is something that happens inside of you. It doesn't mean you're saying what happened to cause a resentment wasn't wrong or that it didn't matter. It means... I choose to let go of this negative feeling towards the person whom I perceive has hurt me. - Bill Phillips
6. As long as any part of our mind or consciousness is engaged with unresolved feelings from the past it will require us to expend valuable energy on it. - Bill Phillips
7. As long as we hold onto a grievance, we are chained to the past situation and the offender. - Bill Phillips
8. Granting someone true forgiveness is not based on any conditions. The forgiven don't have to deserve it or earn it. It's an act of grace and mercy on your part.- Bill Phillips, author of "Transformation"
9. He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself; for every man has need to be forgiven. - Thomas Fuller
10. Forgiveness is unlocking the door to set someone free and realizing the prisoner was actually you! - Max Lucado
11. Forgiving those who hurt us is the key to personal peace. - G. Weatherly
12. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
13. Never ruin an apology with an excuse. - Kimberly Johnson
14. Apology is a lovely perfume; it can transform the clumsiest moment into a gracious gift. - Margaret Lee Runbeck
Part of forgiveness is to let go:
To “let go” does not mean to stop caring, it means I can’t do it for someone else.
To “let go” is not to cut myself off, it is the realization that I can’t control another.
To “let go” is not to enable, but to allow learning from natural consequences.
To “let go” is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in my hand.
To “let go” is not to change or blame another, it is to make the most of myself.
To “let go” is not to care for, but to care about.
To “let go” is not to be in the middle of arranging all the outcomes but to allow others to affect their own destinies.
To “let go” is not to deny but to accept.
To “let go” is not to nag, scold, or argue, but instead to search out my own shortcomings and to correct them.
To “let go” is not to adjust everything to my own desires but to take each day as it comes, and to cherish myself in it.
To “let go” is not to critize and regulate anybody but to try to become what I dream I can be.
To “let go” is not to regret the past, but to grow and to live for today.
- Author unknown
and, to "let go" means to not resent somebody:
The moment you start to resent a person you become that person's slave.
He or she controls your dreams, absorbs your digestion, robs you of your peace of mind and good will, and takes away the pleasure of your work.
You cannot take a vacation without that person going along! He or she destroys your freedom of mind and hounds you wherever you go.
There is no way to escape the person you resent.
That person is with you when you are awake and invades your privacy when you sleep.
That person is close beside you when you eat, when you drive your car, and when you are on the job.
You can never have efficiency or happiness.
The person you resent influences even the tone of your voice.
He or she requires you to take medicine for indigestion, headaches, and loss of energy.
That person even steals your last moment of consciousness before you go to sleep.
So if you want to be a slave, harbor your resentments.
- Author unknown