This is a compilation of thoughts and quotes that I have found or written recently, as well as many that I've collected throughout the years. Most thoughts are posted randomly, as I feel inspired. A listing of quotes can be found alphabetically (check the 2008 and 2009 archives listing), or by source.
Feel free to suggest additions!
Friday, February 12, 2010
Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes
1. A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.
2. A great man is always willing to be little.
3. A great part of courage is the courage of having done the thing before.
4. A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer.
5. A man is a method, a progressive arrangement; a selecting principle, gathering his like to him; wherever he goes.
6. A man is relieved and gay when he has put his heart into his work and done his best; but what he has said or done otherwise shall give him no peace.
7. A man is what he thinks about all day long.
8. A man's growth is seen in the successive choirs of his friends.
9. Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.
10. All I have seen teaches me to trust the creator for all I have not seen.
11. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
12. Always do what you are afraid to do.
13. America is another name for opportunity.
14. An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.
15. As a cure for worrying, work is better than whiskey.
16. As long as a man stands in his own way, everything seems to be in his way.
17. Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.
18. Before we acquire great power we must acquire wisdom to use it well.
19. Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.
20. Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live as well as think.
21. Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.
22. Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
23. Do the thing we fear, and death of fear is certain.
24. Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
25. Earth laughs in flowers.
26. Enthusiasm is the mother of effort, and without it nothing great was ever achieved.
27. Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons.
28. Every man in his lifetime needs to thank his faults.
29. Every man is a quotation from all his ancestors.
30. Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact.
31. Every wall is a door.
32. Flowers... are a proud assertion that a ray of beauty outvalues all the utilities of the world.
33. For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
34. For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else.
35. God enters by a private door into every individual.
36. He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.
37. Hitch your wagon to a star.
38. I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
39. I hate the giving of the hand unless the whole man accompanies it.
40. I have no hostility to nature, but a child's love to it. I expand and live in the warm day like corn and melons.
41. I have thought a sufficient measure of civilization is the influence of good women.
42. I like the silent church before the service begins, better than any preaching.
43. If a man can... make a better mousetrap, the world will make a beaten path to his door.
44. If you would lift me up you must be on higher ground.
45. In skating over thin ice our safety is in our speed.
Posted by The Youngs at 2:45 PM