This is a compilation of thoughts and quotes that I have found or written recently, as well as many that I've collected throughout the years. Most thoughts are posted randomly, as I feel inspired. A listing of quotes can be found alphabetically (check the 2008 and 2009 archives listing), or by source.

Feel free to suggest additions!


“For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.” – Proverbs 23:7

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

On Climbing Mountains










(photo by Ken R. Young)

I've often thought of life and it's struggles and journey as climbing a high mountain. I've had the chance to climb several mountains in my life and am still, as everyone, trying to reach the summit of my own life's mountain. There are many crags and steep slopes, potential dangerous spots to avoid along the trail. But there are also beautiful plants, flowers and trees, wonderful vistas, occasional intriguing wildlife, refreshing streams and waterfalls, places of shade and resting, and many opportunities for using and stretching muscles.

Getting to the top can be an exhilarating experience, both because of the achievement and the great views. Knowing your hard work has paid off is very fulfilling. But sometimes it can be tempting to give up before you reach the top and head back down. I have done that, too.

My friend Steven Kapp Perry offered his thoughts on climbing mountains:

"I recently spent most of a week climbing King's Peak with the scouts--including two of my own sons. It's the highest peak in Utah and a grueling climb, and somewhere about half-way up the nearly vertical rock slide, I found myself wondering, 'Why are we doing this? Is it for...fun?'

As I looked ahead and saw everyone above me giving their all in the climb, I don't think anyone would have used the word "fun" at that moment.

So why do we climb mountains with these boys? I think it's so they know that they can do hard things. In fact, it's also so we grownups know we can do hard things.

The hard parts of our lives are rarely ever 'fun,' but when we look back on them with perspective, we see how the Lord used them to help us stretch and grow and become better (i.e. more broken and humble and dependent on him) than we were. And they give us confidence that he'll help us through the next challenge.

'Fun' may not be the exact word, but it is worth climbing mountains."


I agree.

Miley Cyrus recently released the song "The Climb", the lyrics from which I think go very well with this topic:

The Climb

I can almost see it
that dream I am dreaming
But there's a voice inside my head saying
"You'll never reach it"

Every step I'm taking
Every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking

But I gotta keep trying
Gotta keep my head held high

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

The struggles I'm facing
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down
But no, I'm not breaking

I may not know it
But these are the moments that
I'm gonna remember most, yeah
Just gotta keep going

And I, I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on

'Cause there's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb!


So, we must keep climbing...

Here's a picture of me and my two sons on top of Mt. Timpanogos.








For more good stuff on mountains, see also:
http://positivethinkersjournal.blogspot.com/2012/02/moving-mountains.html
and
http://positivethinkersjournal.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-mountain.html

1 comment:

Latissa Marie Graham, L.M.T said...

Wonderful, inspiring thoughts for the day Dad. Thanks:)